Saturday, February 22, 2014

Firenze - As Seen From Above

So that friday in Siena was a fantastic day, and my favorite part of that day was climbing the Torre del Mangia and the Siena Cathedral, and enjoying the epic view from above. The next day, my friend Amanda took the train up from her study abroad location in Rome to Florence. And I figured what better way to see the city than from the top? It seemed to work out in Siena.
The weather reports looked nearly identical as the Siena day, so I assumed it would be nice again here in Florence. It would be a great day to climb to the Campanile di Giotto, the tallest tower in the city.
Except this was the view in the opposite direction. Fantastic idea, climbing the tallest tower in the city.
This was actually my first time going up in the tower as well, so this city, which I have became so familiar with, was being viewed from a whole new crazy angle.
Santa Croce in the distance.
Much threatening. So ominous. Very frightening. Wow. (Apologies for random doge speak.) Looking toward the San Lorenzo area.
And this is the view of the dome from the top of the Campanile. Really an incredible sight to experience.
The weather was still looking nice towards the southeast. But quite soon after, we were caught in quite a storm.
Oh I always love standing on things like this. Not good if you have a fear of heights.
Rain!
We took refuge in the bell tower, hoping to be standing under the bells when they went off at 10am. Unfortunately they never went off at that hour change. Fortunate for our long term hearing health though!
It was an interesting day in Florence. These were people rallying to pray for peace in Venezuela.
The next thing to be climbed was the Brunelleschi's dome. Something I had really enjoyed learning about in architecture history back in Kent. I was pretty excited to climb between the two shells. But to get there we had to walk along this super narrow walkway just beneath the dome's frescoes. Can you tell where the good view was at the bottom? Keep this photo in mind when I show the next few in the claustrophobic stairs to the top. This is what was below us.
Amanda had to keep waiting for me because I kept stopping to admire and take pictures of the bricks and other exposed construction techniques.
The dome is a double shell. It was constructed without centering. It was built in self supporting rings. To get to the top, you had to spiral your way in between the shells, then climb these stairs when it all got steeper.
And this is the incredible view from the top.
NW to San Lorenzo
Take a look at that shadow down below. Incredible, right?
West towards Piazza Annigoni, AKA our classes site for our studio class.
South to Palazzo Vecchio.
And an epic panorama looking towards the front of the church.
North towards Santissima Annunziata, the place where I have been going to church in Florence. (Assuming I am in town that weekend.) Oh and Fiesole can also be seen.
On our way back down. I love how exposed the construction method is here.
We were pretty high up, and had a really nice view of the frescoes under the dome.
Doos to Paradise, originally outside the baptistery. Now housed in this architecturally interesting space.
Next stop was lunch at a pizza place near Santa Croce. We ate out in the Piazza. Check out the awesome puddle reflections.
And if you're keeping score, that's Nice > Rainstorm > Nice.
Please excuse the interruption. this blog post will now continue on the next photo.
There was a large parade of what appears to be communist protestors. The sigh translates to "extend solidarity revive the struggles"
More cool street art. I think it is Giordano Bruno. Same as the statue in campo dei Fiori in Rome. By this point the weather was Sunny > Rain > Sunny > Rainy
Sunny > Rain > Sunny > Rainy > THIS. An incredible mix of everything weather could throw at us. So beautiful. Our last climb of the day was to Piazzale Michelangelo, and then further up to San Miniato al Monte. It was probably one of the best sunsets I've ever seen. The viewing spot and light effects on the landscape, was just one big WOW. Such a fantastic show of God's work. Unfortunately for you all, my camera batteries were toasted like bacon by this point. So much of what I saw is just stuck inside my mind. But I did capture this 360 degree photosynth with my ipod. I encourage you all to click on the link:

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=3d2ad798-d8cb-40e3-8b10-c8a961f3f432

Una giorno fantastico in Firenze!

No comments:

Post a Comment