Sunday, February 16, 2014

If it Ain't Baroque, Rome

Sant' Ivo by Francesco Borromini
Piazza Navona, Fonta dei Quattro Fiumi by Bernini.
Sant'Agnese and the fountain in Piazza Navona. Yes, they did stead that obelisk from Egypt.
The dome of Sant' Ivo. Those stars and 'mountains' (More like a Dugtrio pokemon) usually indicate Pope Alexander VII paid for the building project. His mark is everywhere.
Piazza Navona.
Santa Maria della Pace.

Hi all yinz random people.
Pantheon interior. No good way to photograph it. The space is too epic.
Dome! +Oculus
An earlier Bernini statute including another stolen obelisk.
Sant'Ignazio This church had some really cool paintings on the ceilings. Gave a nice false sense of perspective. (They even had a red marble circle where you were supposed to stand to get the best effect.)
The dome was also a fake painting, but done so it still looks real.
...From at least one point of view. Looks kind of silly here.
It's pwettey!
View from the back.
This is the outside of the church.
And our baroque tour stopped at the Trevi Fountain again. Same crowd during the day as the other night. The guest professor giving us the tour kept warning us about pickpockets and gypsys.
Since the water is fed from aqueducts, it is clean and drinkable (I filled up on a side fountain for bottles, not out of the basin.) It's funny, since in America, we have drinking fountains everywhere, so we really don't think about it. But in Italy, you get your free water from the monuments, curtsey of the commune. Ya always gotta take every chance you get to fill up your KSUMGF nalgene water bottle.
"You shall not pass!" - Dumbledore.
Spanish steps during the day time. There were A LOT of people!
So many people!
But less people as you went up. At the top there were people aggressively trying to sell me things. They speak english to me. I respond very confused, and explain in broken italian or english, that I am from Skyrim. I am Dovahkiin. And then I promptly tell them to FUS ROH DAH.
Saint Peters in the distance.
Not Saint Peters. Rome has very many domes. Many look quite similar.

Twin churches at Piazza del Popolo.
This is supposed to be a baroque blog post. But this building is super modern, but it houses the Ara Pacis, which is quite ancient.
It was designed by Richard Meier.
It was pretty nifty.
Modern architecture eating up and encasing the old monument.
Old + new.
I think in my first Rome post, I had a similar picture as this. The water level is substantially lower after three days. I took this photo during our free time. I was wondering by myself back to Saint Peters square by myself, just killin' time.
As the day winded down, we met back to the hotel, and bussed back to the train station. Thankfully I looked out the back window and saw this cool sunset.
One last photo, Roma Termini train station. It is pretty big.

n'at.

No comments:

Post a Comment